NAMM Day 3


I'm quickly going deaf but it's been mostly worth it so far.

I spent some time today in the C.F. Martin booth taking with their rep and checking out some of their guitars. I was particularly taken with the one to the right. Really well balanced, played fantastically and of course is beautiful.

While I was there I ran into Joel Hoekstra, guitar player for Night Ranger, Trans Siberian Orchestra and Rock of Ages on Broadway. Such a killer player and a nice guy too.

Brent Mason
The highlight today though was going to the Paul Reed Smith performance area and checking out Nashville session guitarist Brent Mason do his thing with a pick up band. Unbelievable playing, incredible chops and taste too. I think in my other life I would be a country player. Since I don't have the time to devote to it I just check out guys like Brent and rip off as much as I can. The time-honored tradition.

Later in the day I spent some time at the Santa Cruz guitars booth and got some quality time with one of their reps and about six of their acoustics. The one below—I got a shot of both the guitar and a closeup of the headstock—a custom orchestra was a standout. Absolutely beautiful and it played like a dream. The bird inlay on the headstock was one of the most beautiful inlay jobs I've ever seen on a guitar. Sometimes these things can be too over the top for me but I felt like the maker really balanced the look of the instrument just right.

Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Finally, just as I was ready to go and head out the door, my buddy and drummer Adam Fischel spotted Vinnie Colaiuta talking to somebody in the Ibanez guitar booth, of all places. I told Adam that's definitely not Vinnie, Adam insisted, I said no way. Adam approached him and he was right. You can always count on a drummer to spot a drummer.

Just like high school kids, we got our picture taken with him. How could you not? Frank Zappa, Sting, Jeff Beck -- the guy has defined what it means to be the consummate sideman.

I still feel goofy getting my picture taken with these guys when I haven't played with them but what the hell. It's fun to be a fan every now and then.

1 comment:

  1. I realize those are forsbobet doggies but I would be hard pressed not to eat one ;)

    ReplyDelete